Monday, February 21, 2011

The Art of Manliness Podcast #34: The Attributes of a Hero With Dr. Frank Farley

I'm not sure how I feel about the hero mentality. My suspicion is that it is an immature form of masculinity - high on testosterone and lower on wisdom. I think that the hero energy/archetype tends to decrease in middle age, when the body is no longer capable of being the warrior-hero, but at the same time there is life experience to become the elder/mentor.

Or not - just thinking out loud. Maybe my middle-aged body/mind is making excuses.

Welcome back to another episode of The Art of Manliness podcast! Well, we went on a little hiatus with the podcast. I’ve received several emails and tweets asking what happened to it. With Gus being born and work on the second book, I put the podcast on the backburner. I just didn’t have enough time for it. But now that Gus is on a regular schedule and the book manuscript has been turned in, we’ll be returning to our regular bi-weekly podcast schedule.

In this week’s episode I talk to Dr. Frank Farley, a professor of psychology at the University of Temple. For the past twenty years, Dr. Farley has researched heroism and the psychological attributes of heroes. In our interview, we discuss some of these attributes, why society needs heroes, and what we can do as men to be heroes for our children.

Listen to the Podcast!

Other ways to listen to the Art of Manliness Podcast:

Listen to the Art of Manliness Podcast on a separate page.

Subscribe via iTunes

Subscribe to the podcast in the media player of your choic


No comments: